Friday, September 23, 2016

Stained Glass Watercolors


The Stained glass triptych.


Do you remember when I made those mirrors with frosting spray and dorm mirrors? Well, before I did that I wanted to add something to my kitchen walls. My kitchen is dark. Dark cabinets, dark counter top, very little natural light and just can lights for the ceiling. I tried everything to lighten it up as I was FORBIDDEN to paint the cabinets. (sarge...... and his opinions. ) I painted the walls, several times, I added under cabinet lighting, I added a bead-board backsplash to cover the ugly brown tile. I tried to add light wherever I can.


 Before I got here....
Where  I ended up. (Gosh, the beige ceiling and floors flare so badly with the grey. ) 


I thought, Hey, how about something like this? It's not too dark and might actually lighten up the space.




Last year I started a project based on these leaded glass mirrors.

Ballard Street Mirror

I couldn't afford the hefty price tag and started coming up with ideas. Click below to look at my stained glass inspiration.












So before I did the above, I tried something else.

My Pinterest Gallery
Now, I couldn't find any mirrors I or stained glass  I could afford, and to do my own mirrors,  I thought might look too "homemade". 

Lets give some context. So, back in art school, I was on a study abroad program. It's focus was on drawing and painting. Specifically watercolor. I was fascinated by these old churches, the exquisite iconography and the stained glass. My final project was a horrible ink stained triptych of the stained glass and wood carved pieces in these old Swiss churches.

I don't have pictures which is good because looking back..I'm not terribly happy with them. But that's the thing about art, you get better. I lost them awhile ago anyway. So I started thinking , hey, I know watercolor (spoiler: I was wrong) why don't I draw some beautiful stained glass, and just color it in? Based on the stained glass gallery I made in Pinterest.

My drawings below. 


More drawing




Inking with acid free micron markers.
My sister, Sully an ACTUAL water color artist, helping me.



The only one I really like.
Oh God, this one is so awful.



Over-worked. Colors seem too muddy. 

I should have stopped here, The result is over done.
The one on the top right was awful. I started again.




The colors just aren't right.



I have stopped doing the stained glass triptych again. I just struggle so much with the color. Watercolor is the easiest the learn, the hardest to master.



Ps. I cannot for the life of me get all these pictures aligned. I have tried everything. Except changing the HTML code. Because no thanks.

Ruth






No comments:

Post a Comment